View Single Post
(#49 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-03-2009, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Yes. Very underweight and premature. He was 14oz - born a little over halfway through the pregnancy. For proof, a fun photo from about 3 weeks after he was born;

I don`t know about a study on adults, but there is one for infants. Or at least premature infants. We were asked to take part in it as an example of a rare "mixed breed". In the case of early development, it seems that different races have different developmental schedules. The darker the skin, the more is dedicated to developing the lungs in the early stages - but less to the intestines. The lighter the skin, the more is dedicated to bodily regulation and the heart. So the darker a baby is the more likely they are to survive an early birth because the lungs are functional at an earlier stage - but at the same time they`re more likely to suffer from fatal infections. I believe that the senses receive more developmental resources in the early stages, so an Asian infant born early is less likely to lose their sight or hearing... There are also huge gender differences - females focus on brain development earlier than males (who focus on sexual development first in the order of things). This ends up meaning that the male brain is more susceptible to damage due to an early birth or other factors, and is supposedly the reason why cases of disability are higher in males. It is also what causes most premature males to die after they`ve been stabilized. Bleeding in the brain is almost a guarantee if it`s a boy, and that most often leads to death.

I can`t remember all the details, but it appeared that mixed race children were receiving the best of both worlds when it came to early development. Instead of 80 / 20 it was evening out at 70 / 70 - so everything seemed to be pretty even in developmental level, and all higher than the counterparts.

This was incredibly important to us, as otherwise we were given a 0.5% chance of my son actually surviving. He had pretty much everything against him otherwise.

This just confirms my theory! ... I don't have anything else to say regarding the topic... This thread was extremely powerful, and enlightening.