(#58 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Nyororin i would really like to hear you're opinion since the people writing in the article are similar to you.
I`d like to think that I don`t belong in the same group as the majority of those people - as lifestyles and attitudes usually do not overlap. It seems a big chunk of the fly-into-a-frenzy if they`re called gaijin, or if someone says half in front of them is of the "nothing in Japan is good enough" crowd, homeschooling their kids lest they be tainted, etc.

Throwing a fit over the "half" term seems like such a waste of time and effort, seeking out something to cry discrimination and racism over... While forgetting that you say pretty much the same thing in English.
I have absolutely no issues with the term and think that trying to force "double" or the like on others is pretty close to folly. "Half" has made itself a short and convenient Japanese word to refer to mixed race children. Double is NOT a Japanese word, so trying to stick it in there to replace simply doesn`t work. It comes off meaning twice as much, twice as good - which isn`t right.

But, of course, everyone loves to whine about being discriminated against in every capacity in Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.