(#59 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
03-04-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`d like to think that I don`t belong in the same group as the majority of those people - as lifestyles and attitudes usually do not overlap. It seems a big chunk of the fly-into-a-frenzy if they`re called gaijin, or if someone says half in front of them is of the "nothing in Japan is good enough" crowd, homeschooling their kids lest they be tainted, etc.

Throwing a fit over the "half" term seems like such a waste of time and effort, seeking out something to cry discrimination and racism over... While forgetting that you say pretty much the same thing in English.
I have absolutely no issues with the term and think that trying to force "double" or the like on others is pretty close to folly. "Half" has made itself a short and convenient Japanese word to refer to mixed race children. Double is NOT a Japanese word, so trying to stick it in there to replace simply doesn`t work. It comes off meaning twice as much, twice as good - which isn`t right.

But, of course, everyone loves to whine about being discriminated against in every capacity in Japan.
Does that pretty much go hand and hand with what you commented earlier with people saying "cute" when refering to mixed child?

Its weird to see so many differnt perspectives on the matter. I never thought of myself or my sister as any different it felt natural to just say im mixed. But you are right you could go to any country and here people find something to link to discrimnation.

Thank you for imput I think it obvious why i asked for your input on the artice. oh i didnt mean group you with all the people in article it was more of the fact that you are raising a mixed child as these people are.