View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
yz81 (Offline)
New to JF

Several questions since I'm going to Tokyo in May/June - 03-15-2009, 11:55 PM

I've been wanting to go to Japan for a LONG time now. I was planning to finish my bachelors quickly and then go, but life happened and it's taking a lot longer than I expected. Well, I got an extra 3000$ recently and decided to go to Japan (tokyo specifically) after this semester ends (mid may). Not including airfaire (i'll save for that seperately), how long can 2500-3000$ last me? I'd love to stay 2-3 months. I believe 90 days is the most you can stay on just a passport?

I started writing down all these questions I was thinking about today, and love some input about them.

-If I can stay 2-3 months, what jobs can I get? I won't have a working visa so I know most jobs won't be doable. I'm currently a personal trainer, and do some part time english conversation help with ESL students. I'm just 2 classes shy of my bachelors and will finish this fall. If I really like Japan, I think I'd like to come back after I get my B.S. and get a steady job.

-Dating... I'm not gonna lie. I'm VERY attracted to Japanese and Chinese women (oddly not the other asians though). There's two main things I'm worried about when going to japan. 1) I'm gonna want to date pretty much every woman that shows interest in me. I'm gonna have to learn some restraint. 2) How do I tell if a japanese woman is actually interested in ME or just wants to date a white guy?

-I'm a competitive boxer. Are there any boxing gyms around?

-Housing costs. I'm not a materialistic person. I see the main money drain when I go there is housing and food. How expensive are hostels, or are there temporary housing (like sublets?) around? In boston, you can rent a room (roommate living conditions) for about 500$ a month. Food will cost you 250ish. So you can easily survive for about 1000$ in boston for a month, and I'm really hoping it's the same in Tokyo.

-Tourism vs Experiencing. I want to EXPERIENCE Japan/tokyo. I don't want to be just another tourist doing the usual touristy things. Hence why I'd like to find some type of sublet housing and get a temp job.

-Celebrities: Are celebrities seen much walking around? And is it ever possible to contact one? I have a huge crush on a singer and would love to be able to email or write her a letter, but have no clue in where to start for that.

-Concert/social costs: How much are music concert tickets generally? And how much is a "night out" with friends usually cost? I'm not a club go-er, but do enjoy bars/lounges

-For some stupid reason, I got the word gaijin tattoo'd on my forearm when I turned 18. I'm going to try to get it removed or at least covered before I go there. I do have a cross tatoo on the other forearm though and wondering if this will cause any problems. It's pretty small and on the inside of the arm.

-Is there ANYWAY to know when people are friends/being friendly with you because they actually think you're a cool person or because you're just a white guy? I'm very nervous of people "befriending" me just cause of my race.

-When you're craving american food (I know I WILL crave a good hamburger!), is it usually easy to get? and good?

-How hot is it in summer? and how long?

-If I get injured and have to go to a hospital, what happens? Am I even covered?

-Phone. I have a cellphone here, but it won't work there. Do they have prepaid phones that are cheap? My current phone is prepaid and very cheap (5-10 cents/min).

-I have just a MASS car/motorcycle license, is it good enough so I can rent a car/motorcycle?

-how much is it to travel in country (trains) and out of country, but still in asia (thinking of china and australia)

-some major do/don'ts of ettiquettes I should be aware of?

thanks for reading! Any answers are very much welcomed!
Also attached a pic of me for kicks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nd.jpg (35.6 KB, 80 views)