View Single Post
(#107 (permalink))
Old
ILikePi (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
I get sick of hearing that the only kind of people that say they want to go to Japan are anime/manga freaks. That's not true. I want to go to Japan and I really don't give a crap about either. I am VERY unhappy where I live -- a small town with nothing in it in Kentucky. I no NO ONE with ANY common interests wit me -- all of my conversations have to do with the weather, school, money . . . stupid stuff like that. I have no job opportunities with any of the careers that I would want. I find NO ONE attractive here. I am a young adult and have never been in any kind of relationship before in my life.

I want to visit Japan to see if I would want to live there because I think it would offer me happiness and opportunities that I cannot have in the US. I love the ideas of Japan and the scenery. I love the music and I find the men very attractive (physically, anyway). I think I could be more successful if being a foreigner is not a problem. I think I am the kind of person that may really like Japan and I am not an anime/manga freak. I am also aware that Japan is not a utopia. It has its share of problems as it is imperfect. Schools require uniforms, I will always stand out from the crowd, and many other things. People don't have to be an anime/manga freak and think Japan is a happy fantasy place to want to live there!
The USA is so large and diverse and you've lived in one place in its great expanse. That is not a good basis for deciding to leave the country. Only after you've experience living several differing places in the USA and then visiting Japan would even begin to understand which you would enjoy more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffbittencourt View Post
Brazil isn't like the USA: only a few rich people live on huge houses, and crime here isn't as bad... the USA is a very violent country (talking about violence occurrence rates).
Facts disagree with you friend.

Brazil
Murder in Brazil | Not as violent as you thought | The Economist

When you see violent crime stats you need to keep in mind the population of a country. The USA has a relatively low violent crime rate bested only by countries such as Japan. Also, the vast majority of violent crime in the USA is concentrated in a handful of hotspots (inner cities, etc) and are extremely easy to avoid. Few people live in huge houses here either depending on what you term huge. If huge is bigger than an average Japanese dwelling then most definitely!

Thread had some really nice info in it. Found it through a google search and just started scouring the forum for Japan info. A few questions about something mentioned in the thread:

The central heating, are there really no places with it or are they rare? Do you have the option of getting it when a house is built? And if so is the equipment involved prohibitively expensive? What kind of heating cooling is in each room? Implemented as kerosene heaters I take it? (was reading those are popular in Japan) And what for air conditioning exactly? Window units? If not where does the water vapor vent? I am so concerned because I have very bad allergies (mold). I have other questions but I'll start new threads for those. Asking these here since they are directly referenced.