Thread: Misawa, Japan
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
swiftwind (Offline)
New to JF

Misawa, Japan - 04-01-2009, 04:16 PM

Anyone live around this area? is it really out in the middle of no where?

I may be getting a job offer to work in Misawa. I'm currently trying to consider the advantages and disadvantages of living in such an area.

here's what I came up with so far.

Advantages:
1. I'm going to get a lot of hands-on experience and expand my knowledge for my career. I'm going to be doing a lot of new things if I take this job. Very good for my resume.
2. cost of living seems to be much cheaper compared to where I live now.
3. It may open up doors for me to work in other areas of Japan, such as Tokyo or Osaka.
4. Even if I decide to go back after a year, having international experience on my resume makes me look really good when applying for jobs.
5. We will be able to visit my wife's family more often, and for less money.
6. I'm looking at a decent raise if I take this job.
7. If I decide to stay longer, there's a good chance I could make even more money.

Disadvantages:
1. Its out in the boondocks as far as I can tell?
2. My wife may not be able to find a job in the area. If we can't find work for her, then its not an option to go. She's a graphic designer. Does anyone know graphic design/web/print shop companies in the area?
3. I'm wondering if the trains going to come by frequently, or is it very scarce.
4. Not much to do from what it seems like. We were thinking to possibly offset this by creating a plan to tour around the area ahead of time so we don't get bored out of our minds.

What do you guys think? Ideas?

I really need your input on this. I admit, this is my first offer for a job in Japan. Its very hard to apply for jobs from the US as you probably already know. I'm not sure if I should let this one go or not.

Thank you for your time!