View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Basing a relationship entirely on race is something I hate with a passion. Assuming that someone will fit your criteria for a relationship simply because they are of a certain race or nationality is just as bad as assuming someone will be awful because they are some race or nationality. It`s all racism.

Fall in love with an actual PERSON, not some ideal that you try to squeeze them into.
In most cases I agree with you... but I wouldn't call it racism for wanting someone from a certain nationality. Take me for example, I am Berber. There aren't that many of us in the world and we have a pretty unique culture. Therefore, when it comes to marraige, I'd want to meet someone from my culture, and my culture is only truely alive in Algeria. This however doesn't mean that I will break up a loving relationship just because the girl I've fallen in love with isn't from Algeria.

There are many cultures for example that only allow marraige within the same culture. Of the top of my head, in Lebanon (I forget the name of the group). I have a very close Lebanese friend who is only allowed to marry a woman from his culture otherwise he will bring great shame to his family. It might sound very silly and archaic to a westerner, but these kind of values are still alive in many parts of the world!

So, it's pretty complicated. I don't think that someones cluture being of great importance neccesarily implies racism. However, I do agree that Love is the most important part. And not any kind of love either!

Last edited by noodle : 04-03-2009 at 10:55 AM.