(#104 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-14-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
After reading your response, I don't think we are even talking about the same thing. Anyway I agree with your point, English as second official language is crux.
Thank you. I think that somewhere along the line my argument and the pro-English set was mixed... I`ve only really been irritated by the great leap (by what appears to be native speakers, at that) to call English an "easier" language.

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is acquiring a language even as a first language will vary in the effort required. Maybe not spoken but definitely reading/writing as not all languages are created equal (but I'm sure they all are just as equally functional).
The end functionality is the point. I personally think that Japanese grammar rules are much easier than those of English. But the written language is harder. In the end these things balance though to create languages of equal complexity and, in a linguistic light, of equal "difficulty".
Both languages are going to require an equal amount of time and effort to acquire complete proficiency in as a native speaker. Exactly where that effort goes isn`t that big of an issue.

Native speakers of one language saying their language is easier than others, and therefore should or would be adopted by another country if possible is one of my pet peeves.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.