(#35 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-18-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

If you are already in a relationship with someone Japanese, and already plan to spend the rest of your life with them - getting married is the fastest way to residency.

But anyone who calls it the "easiest" doesn`t have their head screwed on right.

In the case of marrying someone just for residency - what advantage is it to them? In all the cases of marrying for visa that I have heard of there are two patterns.
1) Business arrangement, and
2) Pure deception.

The business arrangement usually involves a big chunk of money to make it worthwhile to the other party... And deception almost never lasts long enough to retain residency after the marriage ends.

But either way, you`d still need a lot of money (requiring significant effort) for #1, and likely need to continue to feed money into the deal to keep the partner quiet about the whole thing. One word from them to the authorities and you`re deported.
#2 is a huge amount of acting and emotional effort. Not to mention that you have to actually be appealing enough in appearance and action to get someone to fall in love with you. (Something that is going to require time, money, and effort.) The other party figures out that you`ve used them, and I imagine the result would not be pretty at all. I`ve seen quite a few of these where the husband used the mother to get into the country, got her pregnant (because that is what you do when you`re married in Japan) then split leaving her to fend alone with the kids once he no longer needed her backing for the visa.

Marry someone because you actually want to marry them. The reason you should be wanting the spouse visa is to be with your partner. Not the other way around.

Back when my husband and I got married, one person in the circle of friends accused me of just marrying him for a visa. I have never forgotten, and will never forgive them for that. There is nothing more insulting that they could have said to me or my husband.
Agreed.

And like I said a few posts ago, I fell in love with my GF before I even knew she was a Japanese citizen.

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 04-18-2009 at 04:39 AM.