View Single Post
(#43 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Honestly, I think English is quite complex when written, because even native level speakers, even people like me, English teachers, with degrees in teaching English, still are not automatically sure how to pronounce a word when we encounter it for the first time. Sometimes we can make educated guesses, but we're still not positive until we look at a pronunciation key. In Japanese, that's never an issue.
In fact as I said writing/reading system in English is one of the hard parts of the language along with the immediate understanding of phrasal verbs (I think typical of English language, not common to any other language I know).

But I gave some examples why in my opinion English is one of the easiest language to learn. I don't see major grammar difficulties compare to other languages I mentioned...nor no one has presented any to me excpet telling me that I was wrong. I studied several languages (even tho I am no professor in any of those), thus I think I can have some level of expertise to compare them. Plus I live in an English speaking countries where in schools is taught a latin language and I can easily see the difficulties faced (I got 3 kids in my household). I have a 4 year old daughter and I talk to her only using Italian, while my wife speaks to her only in English. Her level of Italian is not even close to be compared to her level of English. The difficulties she faces with position of words, pronouns, conjugation is clear to see, while I can easily say that her English is pretty close to my level grammatically speaking (always keep in mind she is 4, so don't take me too literally).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ