Old
freel4ncer (Offline)
New to JF

05-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Hi.
Please correct my English, please!

"Children's Day"

May 5th is Children's Day.
It is a day to promote the happiness and well-being of children.
Even though it’s Children’s Day, it’s actually Boy’s Day.
On Children’s Day, families with boys display warrior dolls in their homes and fly carp streamers outdoors.( The carp is a symbol of a successful career.) -> up till here is good.

Both of them are only for boys. ->Both displays are meant for boys.
While, March 3rd is Girl’s Festival which is only for girls. -> Whereas, 3rd March is Girl's festival, which is meant only for girls.

When I was a child, I used to think people should call the day “Boy’s Day”. -> When I was a child, I used to think that people should call the day ...
Most Japanese families put boys ahead of girls, so I though they only call boys their children. -> Most Japanese families favour boys instead of girls, which is why i thought that they regard only boys as their children.
Japan is still a male-dominated society -> (instead of male dominated, could use male-oriented.)
We have fewer female politicians than other countries, and there are always endless waiting lists for day-care centers (Most Japanese husbands don’t do housework or child rearing, so if women with infant children need to work outside, they use a day-care center.). Furthermore, most womens' salaries are lower than mens' even if the men are good for nothing.
Children’s Day is a symbol of male chauvinism.
Thank you!

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodomo_no_Hi]Kodomo no Hi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia