View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
solemnclockwork (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyakushi View Post
I'm sorry but the only reason I don't want any religious support is because its mostly influence, not really what people feel or want to feel. It could go either way with religious beliefs. When people bring religion to a debate its asking the pros and cons to judge a whole group of people and challenge their beliefs, which is not fair and bias.

"When god says your ready to go then your ready to go".
With the advances in technology we are living beyond the expectations of when humans are suppose to die. With this law we are dying before we are suppose to go or maybe even a little later than usual. Thats why it is ruled out here.

solemnclockwork you seem like the only one not taking this seriously, we are not talking about old people but people in general. I only put no religious support because it causes people to spew from the mouth with rage with out thinking.
Firstly, why do you think someone who has an religious belief, and voices will spew "fire" (benefit of the doubt would work wonders here, this site does have an good measure to take care of the not-so-bright individuals)? How is it you think I'm not taking this seriously, I made the point that this CAN get out of control and invade other areas, like killing old people based on the money drain and health problems.

That's not true, we are starting to live out our lives to where we where meant to. In the past we couldn't because of disease, inability to acquire the right care, and vitamins. I will also talk from the Christian point of view (NOT to debate, but clarify) in the bible we where limited to 150 years, and also when you go, that's how long God decided you to live wither it be for whatever reason.(which means, you killed by someone, or die of old age that was God will, this is complicated, so just think of someone dies that was the extent of there life dictated by God).

I don't get it, why do you think that people don't think highly of there own religion? I wouldn't hold the views I have today if it wasn't for my religion. Yes, my views where influenced by religion, but the point is that's MY views, and WHAT I feel, I don't get how you can say that people don't think highly of there religion (you probably going to have to clarify that first statement).
ANY debate will challenge an established view held by both parties, if you get so offended because someone beliefs an certain way, you have an problem. Having an certain views is biased to the person who does not hold those views, thus why conflict exists in debates. You should seek to limit that conflict instead of denying ones right to voice there opinion on the subject. Like me who is mostly at odds with several forums members on views, I don't seek to deny those views, but to express why I don't see face to face on them.

This comes down to the basic concept of religion in ones debate, don't challenge the religion, but why that person has that view.

Ex.

A.I don't believe in assisted suicide, because I find it in conflict of God's will.

B. Ok, then why is it conflict with God's will, what about the persons will, do they have an choice when they might not believe the same way you do?

A. (insert religious text why it is against God's will), being ones will does not make it right, I could think that I have the right to your wallet, does that make it right for me? Even if they don't believe that way, I find it ethically immoral for one to opt out of life because they cannot handle suffering, what if a few days later an cure was found?

B. Response with an rebuttal....

See, most if not all debates will not revolve around religion, the only time it does is to establish why that person fells that way. At most the debate will extent form there. My point is, don't neglect an point of view in favor of being "politically correct", everyone can do with challenges against there views, it helps those developed thick skin.

1 Corinthians 10: 31-33
31 Whether therefore ye eat or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give none offense, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God. 33 Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.