View Single Post
(#37 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-08-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Of course, when I get into my career, it will be only me to start with controlling my own finances. It's more due to personal experiences and not training that taught me exactly how I manage money.
You sound like you can’t imagine when you get married or have your children.

Quote:
Pretty much. When I was in high school (compulsory education for children between 14-16 years old) accounting was taught. Compared to the advanced training I just finished, it was *very* basic.
What did they teach you about accounting in high school?
I had the subject of “Basic politics and economics” in high school, but it wasn’t accounting at all. I mean, they didn’t teach about spending habits.

Quote:
In that case, some of your friends would consider it a purely intellectual question. The most natural way to express that (in my opinion) would be:

"So I asked many friends who should control the purse strings in a family. Some of them do not handle money matters in their family, so the question was more theoretical. The others had a more experienced, practical view."

The bolded sentences are an additional explanation of the individuals that were questioned, and clarify that not all of them are in the same situation, so they would have different opinions.

Most of the confusion comes from using the colloquialism (or saying) of "purse strings". It would be more natural to use the accurate description of "handling money" (specific) or "handling finances" (general). Less writing, and it gets the central idea across more efficiently.
I need time to understand what you wrote above… (There are too many words I don't know.) I will try, but sorry, I can’t answer now.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP