(#39 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
Exactly this. MMM is also wise.

Most people hit their teen rebellion in their mid-teens. I hit it... Yes, at University. I flunked my course (only by one module, but flunk one module and you lose it all), couldn't be bothered to resit, and strode out into the world thinking "It doesn't matter, I have three job offers already. I'm highly employable."

And, yeah, I am highly employable. It just so happens that I (luckily) have a highly employable mixture of knowledge and ability - I am a writer with 13 years' I.T. experience, and good technical authors are highly sought-after. But I had to work 13 years in I.T. to get where I am today, and believe me, doors were closed because I didn't have a degree. Doors are still closed to me because I don't have a degree. Because I couldn't be bothered to go do that one resit, because I was comfortably employed by then, and taking a break six months on to revise and sit an exam seemed like a waste of time.

Now if I want a degree I have to start the whole three years over. It'd cost me about £3,500 a year in tuition fees, and god alone knows how much in matierals, let alone living costs if I chose a university further afield than my local one... Who probably wouldn't have me back because I've already failed one degree

You may not notice which doors have opened purely because you have a degree. But I promise you that if you don't get one, you'll sure as hell spot which ones are closed.
Nice.. are you hiring? 10+ years in IT, with 6 years in QA team management and project management, bachelor in Electrical Engineeering and Master in ISM :P

All joke aside, I also agree with what MMM said. A high school diploma will not cut it. In Canada, big players like AMD and IBM even ask for the studen'ts transcript. There are 2 reason

1. How well you learn in school is a good indication (A baseline, a benchmark) of your learning ability.

2. If we are to hire someone with no proven skills or experience, the best we can do is to hire someone that CAN be seen as a subject matter expert in specific domain. Your CANNOT claim this expertise verbally, your only means of proving yourself is by this piece of paper showing your university studies and achievement

I didn't make these up, when we went to the HR training, this is the actual reason that was given to us by our trainer.

Troo, MMM, Nyorin , very well put. Nyorin, I love your example with the 5 star meal vs a hamburger, using your very same example, we have a clear indication of people's maturity: Kids always nag for burger and fries :P