View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Hello, I know I haven't posted here in many months, but hey I was bored and I still had the bookmark...

I don't see why Tokyo has to be such a hellhole, I fully enjoy it. I get what you're trying to say OP but you are generalizing too much. Yes ofc you are right in alot of what you say, but alot of people here actually _do_ read a bunch of manga, do cosplay etc etc (and not only sweaty otakus). It is fine to have hobbies and interests (even obsessions), just don't let it harm other people (and don't demand that others should fit into your fantasies).

Personally I like a person who is a little nutty (but still takes care of their shit) way better than a boring stiff who doesn't dare to enjoy their interests.
I'm going to agree with this - people who go to Japan because they enjoy manga, or think ninjas are cool or want to see the bright lights of Tokyo don't have any less valid reasons than those who want to see the countryside and natural beauty - their views are just different. Yes, obviously there are those who are overly obsessive and have built up an unrealistic expectations based on Japanese pop culture, but it's perfectly possible to like these things and still have a good time in Japan.

I'm an anime/manga fan. I went to Akihabara, Harjuku, Shinjuku, the ninja village recreated in Koka etc. I also went to temples, shrines, mountains, hot springs, gardens and had a great time all round. I know there are extreme and bad examples of anime fans, but that doesn't mean someone who goes to Japan because they are interested in anime and pop culture should just stay at home.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts