View Single Post
(#40 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-22-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
I'm not sure about Charles Darwin, but the conversion from evolutionist-to-creationist does happen. Similarly, some people develope issues with religion and convert to atheism -- and vice versa. Both sides usually claim enlightenment is the cause for the change.

I personally used to be more inclined to evolutionism.
However, these days, I sway more to the argument of creationism than evolutionism.
Many scientists who consider evolution as real as the day is long are Christian. They do not have to be mutually exclusive. Being a Christian does not mean you can't be a scientist, and vice-versa.

This idea that you must be one or the other is a fairly new thing.

In school I studied both and it never occurred to me (or whoever made the curriculum) that they contradicted each other. One was a creation myth...a myth all cultures have, creation by a divine power, and the other was a scientific theory that was yet to be disproven.

I have always been a big fan of the Japanese creation myth that involves the creation of the sun, the moon, the weather and the emperor. Due to this myth many in Japan thought the emperor was born from the god Amatarasu. It wasn't until the end of WWII that the emperor was forced to tell his people that he wasn't a divine being.