(#11 (permalink))
Old
wasabijuice (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW View Post
Thanks for the sticky MMM.

I was looking through a website recently and found that most businesses offer at least 29 hours. Maybe I can give private lessons on the side. But thats probably after I get a feel for teaching of course and had some experience.

I have a question. When you get close to completing a one year contract, is it possible to renew another one for a set amount of time if the government or business allow it?

29 class hours is a lot! Remember that does not include prep time and transportation time, that will become 50 hours real quick. You'll be knackered.
Also classes may not be consecutive or in the same location. You may be killing hours between classes. The Geos type will have you doing 8 classes per day with 5 mins between classes, it beats construction work but it will wear you down.

If the school likes you, they may offer a renewal contract. Be wary of schools that want a 2 year contract up front. They want to pressure you to stay, it's easier for them. But you can also break a contract, they're not ironclad, but you won't get a reference letter and may lose your visa.

I'd go with the Jet program if poss, or a big company school, do it for a year wherever. Then switch to a small school in an area you like if you want to stay longer.