View Single Post
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-31-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy0000 View Post
There is nothing 'inconclusive' about the N. Korean nuclear program or the recent tests, they are 'epic fail' with N. Korean missile tests that fail more often than not. With western media fanning the fantasy that N. Korea is a bigger threat than it really is? Israel for example has a hundreds of nuclear bombs, does not allow AEC or U.N., any third party inspect it's facilities. On top of that it repeatedly invades it's neighbors and violates U.N. resolutions without equal. Go figure?
Since 1994 - The United States under G.Bush #41 On October 21, 1994, the United States and North Korea signed an agreement-the Agreement provided
a framework for N.Korea to recieve oil, and at least 2 lightwater reactors with
other incentives if N.Korea would freeze their nuclear developement program.
Since that time N.Korea wether you believe they cheated or not - never recieved the 2 light water reactors and oil deliverys were suspended way back in 2000' . Disfunctional as N. Korea is the US and the West have a double standard and are just as disfunctional with dealing honestly.

Former US President Says US Scuttled 1994 Agreement With North Korea
By VOA News
03 November 2006

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter says the Bush administration is at fault for the collapse of a 1994 agreement with North Korea about its nuclear weapons program.

In an interview with Bloomberg news agency, Mr. Carter said it is incorrect to say Pyongyang cheated on the agreement, under which Pyongyang agreed to freeze its nuclear weapons program, put its spent fuel rods in cold storage and allow international nuclear inspectors into the country.

Mr. Carter said the United States effectively abandoned the agreement in 2002 when President Bush labeled North Korea as part of a so-called "axis of evil" along with Iran and Iraq.

The former president, who now heads a peace and human rights organization in the southern United States, called for direct talks between the United States and North Korea, something the U.S. has shunned in the past.

North Korea agreed this week to return to six-nation talks aimed at ending its nuclear program. The talks have been stalled for a year.
First of all

How are the tests "epic fail"?

Second.. I believe that the US has shunned direct talks with NK in the past because of objections by it's allies in the region. But if Obama can get around that obstacle then I'm sure he'd meet with them.

I'm aware of the broken promises made by previous administrations. But it doesn't justify or apologise for North Korea's actions. (I believe the deal Carter made was in order to avert a war... and Carter made it just in time apparently as Clinton was moments away from pulling the trigger on North Korea)