View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Karoube (Offline)
New to JF

Need help with naming my baby - 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Hello!

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I speak French but will do my best to be understand in English here

My daughter is named Hanae as my husband and I both deeply love the japanese culture. I have chose the branch + flower kanji to write her name (sorry I dont have the japanese language on my keyboard). In French we pronunce it a-na-ay (the first 2 "a" sounds like in America or hahaha and the final e sound like your usual a). I was our way to make it easier for people to pronunce it in French here.

I will have a second daughter in January. I would like to name her with a japanese name too.
The one we both love right now is Mei... but:

- I'm not sure about the exact pronunciation in japanese as this is a chinese name too and it seems more usual in chinese. I pronunce it may-eh in japanese. I would like someone to confirm it. Some person told me it is more like "may", but it sounds more like a anglisization to me, but still I can be wrong too.

- I found that Mei may means "light/clear" and can be write with the sun and moon kanjis... but it was not on a serious japanese site so I would need a confirmation of that.

- I like the kanjis for sprout and life too...but would need confirmation too.

- If you know other females japanese names who would fit in your idea in a French/English world, that would be nice to hear it!

thanks,

Nancy