View Single Post
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Bilgewater (Offline)
New to JF

06-16-2009, 10:42 PM

The suzume bachi or giant hornet are definitely something to be wary of. They get particularly upset around the color black, so try not to wear black clothing when in the mountains. They are very fast so you cant outrun them, and if you find one, just get away as fast as you can. Although their size is such that you dont need me telling you that.

The centipedes will bite you, but after 18 years of living in the sticks I have never been bitten. Stepped on one in my bare feet though. Felt like stepping on a gummi bear.

Also be careful of black bears. Not exactly insects, but they are around and dangerous. Best way to prepare for them is to carry something like a whistle or anything that makes a lot of noise - although I guess screaming might accomplish the same thing. Other dangerous animals are mamushi, or japanese vipers. Never seen one in the wild, and monkeys. You would think that monkeys arent dangerous, but they will get pissed if you look them in the eyes and might attack you. And the inushishi or wild boars are said to be dangerous. Ive seen them enough times, but have never been attacked.