(#128 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"My Aunt"

My Aunt went to the Philippine on a sightseeing trip. It was her first foreign trip. She lives in the country and she had never seen people from foreign countries. Well, she doesn’t speak English at all.
She saw a young shop assistant at a souvenir store in Philippine airport.
My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt. “The assistant said that her mother was much alike me, and she wanted to exchange letters with me, but I didn’t like her because she called me ‘Mama-san’ many times. I felt as if I was a bar hostess.” Many people call a female bar manager ‘Mama-san’ in Japan.
Now, my aunt seems to have two problems. One of them is the prejudice against bar hostesses. This problem is not only of my aunt, but also of many elderly people, especially in the country. I believe that they should be unprejudiced, still, as a matter of fact, they think a bar hostess has low status.
Another problem is misunderstanding people who speak in broken Japanese. It’s obvious that the shop assistant didn’t call my aunt ‘a bar hostess’, and her words must have been with great affection, but my aunt didn’t understand difficulties speaking in a foreign language.
She was angry and I was sorry to hear her story. Listening to her, I thought we really need to study a foreign language to have sympathy for foreign people who speak to us in Japanese.

Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP