View Single Post
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

06-18-2009, 07:41 AM

WOW! This post blew my head off! DO you smoke this much often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
It's called the veil. It's Du Bois's theory on double consciousness. Because black people are alienated as black - different from white - we see ourselves not only as humans but as black people. From that perspective, because we see our black identity, we can see when someone is attacking it; whereas on the other hand, if you're a white person in a room filled only with white people, you don't need to see your white identity. Then, if someone were to attack you, you would only see it as attacking your human-self rather than your white-self.
I think you alienate yourself a lot. You're not literally under attack. There are dickheads out there, but you have the option to completely ignore them nowadays.

I mean, how can black people still say their race brings disadvantage in America when the President is half black? Seriously? There is no walls around you. There is only a few random fags, and you clearly pay way too much attention to them.

Quote:
Men are "naturally more dominant" when you think dominant as stronger, faster, etc. Society places more value on those qualities so that men can be more dominant. Those qualities were helpful - in the stone age. Nowadays, it doesn't matter, yet we still think of those qualities as valuable. Society also ever-so-conveniently places more value on the person who goes out and makes money while the person at home, who takes care of the house and children, holds no value... to the point where if there was to be a divorce, the person who went out and made money is the one who will win everything. It's no coincidence that society put women into the role of the ones expected to stay at home.
They're still pretty relevant. Men are much more resolved and objective. In wealthier business, males often do better simply because they think more straight forward and objectively.

Also, in physical labour jobs (such as buildin), women are often paid slightly less because everyone knows they work slightly slower and less productive.

As for my wife, I wish you were right, frankly. She took out an insurance policy before we got together, and it cost about $100 US per month, and I'm having to pay it off, and will have to do so for the next 2 years. I want her to get a job... what's her answer? "I think it time we try make more baby!"

Yes, I dominate her and she is very submissive, but it's not like my encouragement to be more productive is really relevant to her, anyway. It's okay for me, because I can take care of her and I like havin a kitchen slave, but that is her choice.

If you were to come accross a husband that was not content with your own enthusiasim for work or study, you do have the option to leave him. In the past, that'd occur less, because there was not many jobs a woman could do. But there is little excuse for it nowadays, and cring out you're being oppressed sounds a bit silly when it's your choice to stay there in the first place.

Quote:
And, I know it's a little off-topic, but it's very interesting to see what happens to same-sex couples. When there are two men, and one man stays at home, he's suddenly the submissive one and feels the discrimination women feel. If we took away those values, took away the expected roles and qualities that fit into different labels, and just took away the labels completely, there wouldn't be discrimination.
Any man who feels like that has other more pressing problems that need be urgently addressed long before womens discrimination is even considered...

Quote:
I'm just curious - where are you from? There are different cultural expectations for women in every country, and I assumed you were from America.
I grew up in Australia, but have permanently moved to Thailand. I intend to live here for forever.

So you know about the racism I was saying:

I'm trying to start a career in professional kick boxing (Muay Thai - the Thai style of kick boxing). Yet no one will give me a fair shot because I'm white. You see, most big gyms here are full of tourists, and tourists are viewed as money resources. Gyms will charge you about $200 - $300 USD per month to train there, and an equal amount for a room. Then you've got food to buy... All up, it is not hard to spend $1,000 USD a month here doing Muay Thai. But, you'll be very lucky to make more than $300 a month doing fights! So that doesn't add up, does it?

Well, the way the Thais do it, is they'll train at a gym and live there for free, and in exchange they'll split the fight money 50%-50% with the gym. This way, it is possible to have a sustainable career in Muay Thai, and develop your skills, and if you're good enough you'll make it big time and earn some good money. Otherwise, you'll probably spend your older days as a trainer teaching others.

Anyway, I tried to find a gym where I could train for free so my fights would pay for the living expenses. Almost impossible. Actually, only this morning, I've finnally found a gym that can look past my skin color. I've had to go right out into rural Thailand where there are no foreigners, and the people are not accustomed to making a living by racistly ripping people off, and this morning I finnally met an honest gym. The gym is tiny and old and dirty, but the peoples hearts are good, so I'm happy.

But, I'm sure you can imagine the frustration I've been through. Just not being able to do what the Thais do simply because of my skin color and ethnicity. It had a big impact on me, and left me very sour with a lot of people and places.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…