View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Chococat (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I'm from New York City, and you're not. Well, unless you are.
Send a message via AIM to Chococat Send a message via MSN to Chococat
I HATE BOOK-OFF! (don't worry, I'm going somewhere with this) - 06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

This is why:

I went to Book-Off (the Japanese used-book store) to try to apply for a job (so I could be less broke), but my spoken Japanese was a little shaky. I tried to talk to the lady at the counter, but she wouldn't talk to me, she wouldn't introduce me to the manager, she wouldn't even take my resume.

I think a major part of the reason she snubbed me is because I'm black. She looked kind of scared. She had the "omg, this muscular black guy is going to kill me and rob the place!" face. True story.

But the point is, I think if my spoken Japanese was better, I wouldn't be posting this now. I'd be working. So, if anyone out there would like to practice their Japanese, or even learn english, please help a brother out. Everyone is welcome, no matter what your level. I have a Skype account, "thechocokat", so we can talk on that. If you're in the NYC area, that's even better. We can talk, and go hang out or something. But, no going to Book-Off. ;\ They're weird over there.