View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

07-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khengi View Post
I just can't seem to grasp WHERE in the sentence it goes, I understand how it's used (even when it means two different things, 1. intention and 2. belief).

I just don't know where in the sentence it goes. I also put Nagoyankee in the title to hopefully attract his attention to this thread, as I know he can answer it.
つもり has many meanings and shades of meaning than just two. I will discuss only those that are in common use today.

Intention:

今日行くつもりだったが行かなかった。= I had intended to go today but I didn't.

この週末中に宿題を終えるつもりです。= I intend to finish my homework during this weekend.

メアリーを傷つけるつもりはなかったが、結果として傷 つけてしまった。= I had no intention of hurting Mary but as a reslt, I hurt her.

Estimation:

2,000 ドルあれば日本へ行けるつもりだったが、3,000 ドルくらいかかるみたいだ。= I had thought that 2,000 dollars would take me to Japan, but it seems it would take 3,000.

Make believe:

ゲームを買ったつもりで5,000円貯金した。 I saved 5,000 yen thinking (or making myself believe) that I had bought a game.

There used to be an instant ramen named "行ったつもりで北海道". Hokkaido is well-known for its ramen among many other foods. Honshu people dream of going there but some don't get to do so because Hokkaido is far away and a trip there can be very expensive.
____

As you see, つもり is mostly placed after the verb. But there are exceptions.

回転ずしへ行った。一皿130円のつもりが150円だ った。= I went to the conveyor belt sushi. I thought it cost 130 yen a plate but it actually cost 150 yen. (Estimation based on old information.)