View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Where is "St. Thomas"? Do you mean Sao Tome? That's サントメ. The St. Thomas in Jamaica is セント・トーマス. The ones in US Virgin Islands and Ontario are the same as the one in Jamaica.

***Question for a native speaker. In the sentence I've starred above, presumably the speaker is trying to emphasize that he wants to study by himself, so would it sound more natural to put 一人で after 日本語を? Or is it just my native-English propensities bleeding through that make me want to switch those around to place the emphasis on 一人で rather than no emphasis?

The green colored sentence...I'm not sure about. Did you become some kind of teacher or what? I think if you're talking about a lot of teachers helping you out, the 教える should be 教えられる instead because the former means "I taught ~" and the latter means "I was taught [by ~]".

What is プレト? Is it Plato? because Plato is プラトン in Japanese (yes, "Platon"—I proofread an English essay for a Korean friend of mine (we only share Japanese as a common language and know each other from our time at a university in Japan) and she kept writing "Platon"; I finally figured out it was a Japanese->English translation error).

Someone else can finish. I sort of got disheartened when I saw you ask your teacher to proofread a report for you, but yet you're asking us to proofread a letter to your teacher to impress her. Also, I'm feeling less and less confident about my (apparently) diminishing Japanese since I got completely smacked down a day ago on a trivial piece of grammar that I thought I'd had down for half a decade.

I feel comfortable with the corrections I made, but like I said, I'm feeling less confident in my abilities lately, so if anyone else responds, you might want to take their answers over mine. However, if no one responds, then my word is probably more valuable that nothing at all.
Thank you so much! After wards I realized that it's actually a pretty long letter, and didn't expect to get any responses.

Sorry if it's confusing. During the school year, my teacher decided to teach me independently, and for the independent study I would write her reports regularly - reports that are more like weekly journals that have my opinions on different issues. After the school year ended, though, she asked me to continue sending her reports - not for a grade, but just for practice and so that we could keep talking. So this is really more a letter, but I called it a report in Japanese because that's what I'm used to calling it with her. So, it's basically an informal thing and I'd like to have it perfect so that she can just email me a response without having to say, "By the way, you made mistakes here, here, and here."

As for the teacher part, I just didn't know what the word for "assistant" was so I just tried to describe it. I'm a paraprofessional or a teacher's assistant, so I go from teacher to teacher helping them in their classrooms.

Thanks again.

LOVE: pass it on