View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-06-2009, 07:42 PM

And yet, when I googled the issue, it seems that there was no issue with copyright and that, though the animation is similar, the plot is still completely different.

I found comments like these:

"Plagiarism is one thing, violation of copyright and trademarks are somewhat different issues.

If Disney animators turned to Tezuka Osamu’s brilliant body of work for inspiration, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN DELIGHTED. Afterall, early classic era Disney was a constant source of inspiration to Tezuka.

A Disney animators also turned to people like Miyazaki Hayao, too. And he seemed to have been inspired by the creators of ‘Ginga Tetsudo’, a really visually wonderful animated feature from the early 80s.

But saying the Lion King violates a copyright would be like saying any mouse character is a violation of the Mickey Mouse copyright."

"The Lion King and Kimba have ENTIRELY different storylines. Just because some of the animation is similar, does NOT mean that the whole thing was indeed stolen. In fact, The Lion King was ACTUALLY based on William Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Just watch any version of Hamlet, and you’ll understand. Hamlet (Simba) is heir to the throne of Denmark (The Pride Lands), until his evil uncle Claudius (Scar) steals away Hamlet’s throne, kills his father (Mufasa), and marries his mother (Sarabi). Hamlet falls in love with Ophelia (Nala), and with the help of Horatio, Marcellus, and Bernardo (Zazu, Timon, and Pumbaa), they defeat Claudius (again, Scar), however, at the end they all die. Of course, in Disney’s version, the only one who dies is Scar. I think that Walt Disney was a complete genius to make such a classic so modern and understandable. Therefore, The Lion King is definitely NOT based on Kimba. Did I solve everyone’s problem?"

"If Disney ripped off Tezuka, then Tezuka's manga rip off Disney animations all of the time. They just used each other for inspiration."

Those are just a few, though.

LOVE: pass it on