View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

07-12-2009, 12:13 AM

I have to say that my experiences in France were pretty awful. I studied French for nearly ten years (although Japanese has pretty much ruined my ability to use it), and as I have said elsewhere, I spent time in France. Despite being able to speak French to a degree, the French people I met refused, absolutely refused to acknowledge my French. I had to speak English to get them to speak with me at all, and then they gave me this look as if I should be speaking French!

I remember talking to my French teacher on the Metro in French, and a group of girls, probably college students, started pointing, laughing, and repeating everything we said obnoxiously- and my teacher was French! Not too many days later, there was another incident at a sandwich stand where the shopkeeper tossed our food at us, but made a great show of politely handing food to French customers.

I would say that almost every day during my time in France, we encountered someone who was just acting like... well... a total jerk. I don't think it was us, especially now that I've lived in Korea and Japan as well, and know I can adapt to other cultures.

If the French treat tourists to France this badly, I am unsurprised they would keep the same attitude when going abroad. This is not to say all the French people I met while in France were jerks, nor am I saying France isn't worth it. I am saying... be prepared.