View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAura View Post
Alright SOOO I'm living in mississauga, ON, and visited japan for 2 weeks in October of 2008 and fell in love ^.^. I've gone through my schooling got my certificates and diplomas to be an aesthetician , opened a business and closed it, I'm moving to blue mountain to work at a resort and have a gift in arts. it's not even been a year and I'm DYING to go back, I would love to move to Japan in september of 2010 for a couple years to work in a resort, which I think is possible... here's the dilema...

My boyfriend would also love to move there and his gift is cooking, he's done co-op in this field but would LOVE to do an apprenticeship cooking there. Is this possible? Is there any restaurants or companies that are connected with an across the boarder apprenticeship?

Or is there an alternative we could look at?
I am from Canada myself, as a matter, i was just in Missisauga yesterday As other suggested you should be able to stay there temporarily, I don't know how long of a stay you are allowed with a WHV, but its likely that you won't be able to stay there perm. One thing you can look into are onsen resort, especially the ones in Haone and Atami (Try Fujiya), they are starving for English speaking staff, but as Hatredcopter pointed out, you will need to speak fluen Japanese as well.

As for the cooking side of things, I highly doubt that he can find an apprenticeship program anywhere. What he can do is to specialize himself in a non-Japanese cuisine and hopefully find a job in a Western style restaurant in Japan that will offer him a head chef type position. Of course, as Sangetsu suggested, if he is not going to find a job as a cook, then its a totally different story...

A permanent stay is almost out of the question unless they are willing to sponsor you, in which case, the chef does have some possibilities (If he can earn a name strong enough that the local restaurant wants him). Though, any big restaurant that has enough fund and are willing to sponsor him will not be in the resort area.....

If you do search, i would recommed that he can either find something in Nagoya or Yokohama, while you can find a resort in Atami or Hakone, at least this way, its within hours with the shinkansen (it will get expensive though)..