View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
cheshirechic (Offline)
New to JF

07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egenglert View Post
During my flight to Tokyo, there was a full family, wearing some sort of creepy tourist uniform, we're talking the straw hat, Hawaiian shirts (except for the mom who was wearing a Hawaiian muumuu), the Bermuda shorts, and sandals, with cameras around their necks, and the kids were teenagers, so all I can say is, don't wear that or I will cut you. (I won't cut you, I'll just lose all respect that I have for you, which is quite a bit since you are concerned about appropriate clothing to wear in a foreign country, unlike that woman in Malta who kept walking into the church with bear shoulders, and as the Maltese are very conservative Catholics, that was a definite no-no, which I knew, but she clearly didn't do her research).

Sorry, ridiculous tourists wearing inappropriate clothing is a pet-peeve of mine.
It's definitely my pet peeve as well, hence the thread. When I've been in Europe, I avoided the "ugly American" uniform like the plague. On one trip, a friend of mine decided to wear a short skirt when we went to a monastery and, needless to say, it was quite the faux pas.

I bought some barely-above-the-knee French Connection shorts that are dressier, with pockets and pleats. They're pretty loose too, so I'm not too worried, but I DID pack some pants just in case.

Thanks!