View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Japan relaunches trials by jury - 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Japan relaunches trials by jury

Quote:
Japan has opened its first jury trial for more than 60 years, after making changes to a legal system which has often been criticised as unfair.

Six jurors are working with three judges to decide a verdict in the case of 72-year-old Katsuyoshi Fujii, who has been charged with murder.

Until now Japanese trials have been decided by a panel of judges.

Critics say the old system was too slow, lacked transparency and was out of touch.

But some legal experts remain concerned that randomly selected members of the public are not fit to decide the outcome of serious crime cases, especially those involving a possible death penalty. (Article continues in link)
Interesting stuff.

To be honest I don't know much about criminal law (either Japanese or in my own country where jury trials are the norm) so can't really comment.

But just thought I'd throw it out here on this forum seeing as it's Japan related and I'd be interested in what some of you say who do know about criminal law.

I suppose my biggest question is why trial by jury is considered a better system? I'd prefer legal professionals to deliberate over a verdict rather than random people off the street.. but again... I don't really know what I'm talking about regarding this issue.