View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I will do so, as that is very much surprising. I don't see what business it is of anyone else's where my child was born, but that's the fierce multicultural egalitarian in me, I suppose. I would say American or Western, but I have met too many Americans in specific, and Westerners in general, that have the same attitude.

I have family members that have adopted and I once was present in a situation where my cousin was showing off a child she had adopted from Laos, I think, and some woman exclaimed, "Oh my she's so cute, almost like a real child."

Moron. :|
There are idiots everywhere, to be sure, but it seems like this attitude about adoption is more...culturally institutionalized in Japan.

When I asked Japanese people if they would ever adopt a non-blood related child, 100% said no. Even if the child was Japanese? No. What if you couldn't have children? Then I would enjoy playing with nieces and nephews. The answers were so universal, that's why I think it is somehow ingrained in the Japanese culture. The idea of a non-blood person living in the home seemed too much. "You could never love an adopted child the same way as a blood child" was a phrase I heard from more than one Japanese mother.