View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
AxBattler (Offline)
New to JF

08-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
That is my point exactly. A 電子辞書 is going to be a lot better for a student of Japanese than an iPhone app assuming the student is actually serious about learning the language to a high level. My Canon has everything except handwriting recognition (others available 5 years ago had this, but I didn't need it since I could look up kanji fast enough without it just fine). I can't find my specific model on eBay, but a newer model is $230 on a non-discount site. Canon Wordtank G55 That's as cheap as an iPod Touch and cheaper than an iPhone+plan.
I bought my iPhone before I started Japanese. It wasn't bought *for* Japanese. However, it has contributed to my studying, which is a very nice bonus. Dictionary aside, you can also install various Space Repetition Software. While I would not bring my 電子辞書 (yes, I have one) everywhere, I keep my phone with me at all time. So while I am commuting, I can (do) practice my listening or kanji reading. And I'll be honest, even when I need to lookup the meaning of a single word I've heard quickly, the phone is often quicker.

Does a $230 standalone electronic dictionary do more than an iPhone/iPod Touch application at less than 1/11th the cost? Of course it does. If you do not value the other features offered by those devices, than buying to use it as a 電子辞書 make no sense at all. But if someone already planned to buy an iPod Touch for whatever reason, than the $20 application may well buy them some time before a dedicated electronic dictionary will hold them back. And by then, the price of said device may well have dropped by that much (or more).