View Single Post
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-06-2009, 12:51 AM

I agree that the attitude is there. People DO feel that way about adoption. I`m pretty sure you`ll get some interesting responses to your survey.

The thing is, Tsuwabuki isn`t Japanese. This makes a world of difference. Something that would be unacceptable in Japanese culture will most likely be "Well, they`re not Japanese so it`s different." When it comes to responses.
I have noticed that while virtually no one would consider adoption, there isn`t a strong dislike of the practice itself. It`s all a case of "I could never do it." - if someone else does, it`s often even thought of as noble on their part. But still, "I could never do it." People generally believe that it would be impossible for them to care about an adopted child in the same way that they could care about a biological child... BUT they usually don`t think that it would be impossible for anyone to do that.

When it comes to single parenting, well, everyone knows someone who only has one parent. Everyone knows someone who was raised by grandparents. Everyone knows someone who was raised by an aunt/uncle. If someone is going to bully based on this, it`s because they`re looking for something to use for bullying. If they don`t find it here, they will elsewhere.

ETA;
In addition to the idea of adoption - if you word it differently, like "taking in an heir", etc - the response suddenly makes a 180 turn. "Oh, that`s fine." "Oh, that`s normal." "Oh, my uncle is 'adopted'!" "My father was 'adopted'" - etc. Adoption for the sake of having a child isn`t mainstream, but making a child/young adult honorary family to produce an heir isn`t considered the same thing. There are even legally two types of adoption - one for the western style, and one for heir production.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-06-2009 at 12:54 AM.