View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-07-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiTea View Post
Those pictures are really pretty! I was wondering, did you manipulate the black-white ratio on Photoshop, or are these straight images? It is such a shame that when you scanned some of the images, it starts to lose its quality. (It's really obvious when you look at the sky in a few of the images)
No, I don't computer-edit my film pictures. The skies in the pictures are more or less the same as they were when photographed. The day was hazy, and there really was no blue sky visible, just a gray haze which let in through indirect light (which I like), and clouds below.

These scans were done at 2400dpi on a new Epson pro scanner. A 2400dpi scan has much higher resolution than can be shown on a computer monitor. As saved on my pc, the images are 3300 by 2000 pixels, which are somewhat larger than what a 1980x1020 high-definition monitor can show. Even an ultra-high definition monitor will only give you 2500x1500 pixels.

The main problem with the quality of the pics in this post is that they are hosted by photobucket at a resolution of 650 by 400 pixels, which is roughly 1/5th of their original quality.

I could scan them at 6400dpi, and save as tiffs instead of jpegs, but the scans would take forever and the files would be huge; I couldn't really use them on a computer or on the internet. Such quality is only useful for commercial quality printing.