View Single Post
(#112 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 06:01 PM

I haven't waded through all the pages here so I hope I'm not repeating sth.

1) Don't give a comb as a gift, it's a superstition thing. It symbolises death.

2) Don't be surprised if some Japanese refuse gifts. They might want to avoid o-kari (indebtedness)

3) Don't hold 8 fingers and 2 thumbs up to hail a taxi. They interpret that as you willing to pay 10 times the standard fare.

4) Don't cross your chopsticks, lay them flat and parallel beside each other.

5) Park your bike at a designated churinjou (bike shed). Otherwise, they may whisk it off to an impound lock.

6) Don't wear green or purple too much as they are the colours of death in Japan. I used to wear a purple and a green earring in my left ear and I was told to take them out before going to Japan. Also, they are seen as rebellious.

7) I agree with the poster on the first page about photos. If you want to take a photo, say 'sumimasen, ano, shashin wo (o) totte mo ii desu ka?'. This is just asking them if it's ok to do.

8) Give gifts with 2 hands rather than one

9) Pour drinks for other people. Pouring for yourself is a sign of alcoholism in some circles.

10) Don't use the oshibori (soaked towel for wiping your forehead) as a general purpose wiper. It is to be used for wiping the sweat from your forehead and brows. Japanese break this rule but they can.

There are more but 10 is fine for now.