View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
clintjm (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-08-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
And America is not discriminating and conflicting in its own unique ways? If you think being adopted period in America is any kind of cake walk for child, or for that matter, parent, trust me, I have news for you...

As for the beginning clause of that sentence, it's not fair to rescue a child from being unwanted and abandoned and provided for by a parent who genuinely cares about his or her well-being?

Right now my ability to provide for a child is tied to having an established life, my established life is in Japan.

I think it was fairly clear that adoption in Japan simply doesn't happen, and would not to a single parent non-citizen.

Thank you, although at this point it is all just a concept, not even really a plan. However, it is something that I want to do eventually. I want a child, always have, but it my case, I'm in no hurry to get married so I can have kids.
I'm sorry? Not being a cake walk in comparison to where or what? You have news for us? What news do you have to bring when you are "exploring a concept , not even really a plan" ??

I think Ozkai was stating that is you were to adopt a American child at 6 or younger, he would be placed into foreign environment and be singled out because he/she is adopted. You have no idea how kids with step / divorced / missing / adopted parents are treated in school and in life in Japan (by another child OR Adult) despite what you believe you see here in there as a teacher. Add being foreigner in there and you have the possibility of a bad time for the child. Plus add in the stress of language (outside of school) and a foreign society and culture would ostracize the child.

Rescuing a child from having no parents to live in a foreign world with also most likely being a stressful unhappy world ROBS the child of having the chance to be adopted by a local mother and father.

The reason you would be denied adoption is simple: a single parent bringing up a child that has to function in a foreign society than the one he or she has known since birth to a single foreign parent. It isn't going to happen in Japan. Believe all the posts you read here about how impossible your "concept".

And yes when it comes down to it, Japanese (like other Asian cultures) would do almost anything to have a non-blood related child. A Japanese married to an Foreign male I know has stated that she is against adopting because it is a non-blood child - flat out against it. She would consider a donor egg though as the blood relation between her husband and child would exist. She said the donor egg would not have to be Japanese. I say donor egg because she is not able to conceive - this should be proof enough.

In regards to one of your previous post on this topic. you are correct in thinking your income and high standard of living is not transferable to all parts of the country. The best schools for the child would be in the city (academic wise), and in general 4 million in the bank would not be enough for a rainy day.

It is an old Japanese mindset, even more prominent in Korea, that is the child actual family tree is not known, then the child is unknown. This is why in Japan and again more so in Korea that it is truly difficult for a adopted child to marry into another family if it is known that he or she is adopted. Since the root of the child are unknown the family that the son/daughter would marry into would break their family tree.

Old concept... but surprisingly very very alive.

Also, lay off the "America is discriminating" deal... sorry you've had a rough go in the states but you should not be surprised that the opinions of many nations are same in many countries beliefs. Discrimination is everywhere, and I believe Japan has just as much as any other nation... maybe in different forms or in different places, but there just the same.

You say:
"I would say American or Western, but I have met too many Americans in specific, and Westerners in general, that have the same attitude.

I have family members that have adopted and I once was present in a situation where my cousin was showing off a child she had adopted from Laos, I think, and some woman exclaimed, "Oh my she's so cute, almost like a real child."
Moron. :|
"

Also I can find one Japanese or whatever country say something stupid or have a stupid belief just the same as your quote.