View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Recently, a friend of mine divorced her husband in Japan. They are both Japanese.
She could have received the house, but opted out of it as it was pretty much required that she stay there until her husband could find elsewhere to live and she couldn`t afford the loan payments.
She moved into an apartment. Her husband pays for the apartment. She receives free child care, and a credit toward general living costs. She was able to find a job but is not able to work enough to make the same amount as her former husband due to hours (can`t do overtime because of the kids, etc).

I`d say she received a pretty fair deal, and she isn`t having trouble surviving. Perhaps if she had no skills it might be an issue, but most everyone goes to university in Japan so someone lacking skills is pretty uncommon.
That's good for her. Not many people are as lucky as she is. It's kind of awkward asking about a stranger's personal life, but was she the stay-at-home mother? Did she have a job?

In the USA, I know that with the idea "women should stay at home" comes the idea "women should not work." Working is for men, where I'm from. Because of that, I don't think many women who stay at home are skilled, and can fend for themselves.

LOVE: pass it on