View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I agree entirely on "nigger" as there really is no place it can be used without being offensive...

However, about "negro" - I think you should contact these places, apparently they haven`t received the bulletin.

UNCF
The Official Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League Website
African American Women's Organization | National Council of Negro Women | NCNW
National Association of Negro Musicians, Inc. Official Website
National Association of Negro Business & Professional Women's Clubs, Inc. | A Mighty River

And those are just the first Google page.

I agree that the term "negro" can be and often is used in a derogatory manner. However, I disagree that it is always meant to be so - if that were the case these would be horrible groups!
I took the action I saw fit (contacting the user) in regard to the term`s use. The end.
Please don't take this as me trying to bring up that other discussion. I'm not. I'm over that. I'm actually a little bored by it now. I just really want to make sure that people understand that the word "negro" is offensive. I don't even mean it in a mean way either. I just wouldn't want anyone to go around, using the word "negro", and then get punched in the face for it.

As for the groups, those are historical groups. Their names are symbolic of the positive change and progress that's been made. Their names show history. There's already been a lot of debate over the names, and whether they should be changed or not. The groups you see there refused to change it.

To me, it's kind of like the idea that people can't read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird because there are ethnic slurs used in them. Those books preserve American history and are symbols of race relations today in America. They both freely use the words "nigger", but I don't find that offensive because they were written in a time when "nigger" was acceptable. They're available today because it's something that we can learn from. I feel the same way about the NAACP, UNCF, etc.

LOVE: pass it on