Thread: The N-Word
View Single Post
(#29 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I'm so happy you posted. Can we talk about why the word "negro" is offensive, please?

Rewind: 1960s, when "colored" and "negro" was used casually in day-to-day life. My mother is from this era, and she grew up using the word "negro." She also grew up in a time when she couldn't use the same water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white children.

That was then. To call another person a "negro" brings in the idea that the person is inferior, and shouldn't be able to use water fountains or bathrooms or go to the same schools as white people. To say that I'm a negro takes me back to "then," when I didn't have the same rights - when people didn't think I should have the same rights.
To be honest, I don't see much wrong with the word "negro". I always thought that the term just meant "black" in general. I know if I heard someone use it, I wouldn't view it as its being degrading, just very dated and just shows what time period that person grew up in. My grandmother still uses the term "colored".

Either way, I see where you're coming from.