View Single Post
(#269 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Out of curiosity, how is it wrong when a Puerto Rican would be considered a Hispanic? It's just how it is. I know Puerto Ricans who aren't offended by that term and use it. The offensive term is "Spic", not "Hispanic". They call themselves Hispanic. Now, seems that a Puerto Rican might feel offense if you assume they're something other than Puerto Rican.

My friend is from El Salvador (so he's technically Latino/Latin American), and if you called him say...a Mexican or assume he's from Mexico, he would take offense to that, but of course, it'd probably depend on the person saying it. My Puerto Rican friend is the same way. Call him Hispanic, but don't assume he's Mexican.
Here's why some people might find it offensive:

Hispanic: “We never use Hispanic,” says Sen. “It privileges the European roots of the identity of Mexicans born in the United States.” Hispanic, however, is the preferred term of people in the Southwest whose families are descendents of Spanish colonists.

Latino: (Capital “L,” with “a” or “o” at the end used to connote gender.) Politically correct term for those from Spanish or Portuguese speaking cultures. “We use it instead of Hispanic when we want to refer to many different national groups where there has been an indigenous-European mix,” says Sen.

A Politically Correct Lexicon -- In These Times

LOVE: pass it on