View Single Post
(#271 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

08-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
Out of curiosity, how is it wrong when a Puerto Rican would be considered a Hispanic? It's just how it is. I know Puerto Ricans who aren't offended by that term and use it. The offensive term is "Spic", not "Hispanic". They call themselves Hispanic. Now, seems that a Puerto Rican might feel offense if you assume they're something other than Puerto Rican.

My friend is from El Salvador (so he's technically Latino/Latin American), and if you called him say...a Mexican or assume he's from Mexico, he would take offense to that, but of course, it'd probably depend on the person saying it. My Puerto Rican friend is the same way. Call him Hispanic, but don't assume he's Mexican.
Puerto Ricans are not hispanics, they are latinos/latinas. Why? because hispanics is used for people from Spain and Spaniards Americans, and Latinos are from Latin America. True some people dont get offended, but that doesnt mean they like it. Some people who dont get offended is not just because they dont care, it could be that they dont even know the difference between those words themselves. It would be nice to let them know the difference if you know.

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka