View Single Post
(#278 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

08-15-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
To me, "suck it up" and "nothing we can do" are the mentalities of people who don't wish to challenge themselves or others to make a positive change in the world. That's fine. Not everyone wants to sacrifice themselves and their peace of mind.

I do, though. I want to sacrifice my peace of mind because I want to see that change in the world. Believe me, it'd be a lot easier to ignore. I could have ignored the word "negro." If I'd done that, I wouldn't have gotten into an argument with the mods, I wouldn't have spent a good few hours of my life on this thread, and I wouldn't have had to endure the insistent flames that now seem to follow me throughout the forum.
You make assumptions. You have always made assumptions against me, whenever I post against you. It looks like an innocent post, but I know assumptions when I see one, you weave insults into words well.

But frankly, it's pissing me off. I'm doing as much as I can, and have done (including going to Uganda and going to help the people there. I helped build a well, I did a few hours of teaching kids at the school there, and through my school and with the help of others, I helped provide electricity to a school.) many things to try and help people. It was something small, but I feel I've done as much as I can at the age of 18. You'd do well to sort your assumptions out.

Thing is, trying to get rid of racism, is not going to work. You have the change people, not the words. If you want to get rid of weeds, you have to pull the roots out.

Let's say the racial slurs are gotten rid of. What then?

Peace?

Nah. People will just make up new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
I'm all for knowledge is power, though. Let's leave "caucasian" behind in the history books, along with "nigger" and "negro" and all other ethnic slurs. The only way to do that is to spread the facts.
Read up.

Also, if you get rid of ways to identify a group, how will you explain them to people? You can't.

Or, you'll make up new ones, and then people will just use THOSE VERY ONES and use them as racial terms.

It's futile.

"He's black kid."
"He's a f***ing black person."

"He's Caucasian kid."
"He's a f***ing Caucasian person."

"He's a Nigger."
"He's a f***ing Nigger."

"He's a Turk."
"He's a f***ing Turk."

The last two, I can understand if you want to get rid of them. But the top is fully dependant on how the person says it. Which you keep on failing to understand.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -