(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2009, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusTan View Post
Hi Guys

We (my wife and me) are going to Japan on the 15th Oct to 24th Oct but don’t know where to go and where to stay.

Touchdown Tokyo on 16th early morning and going back on 24th Oct, we are plan to start from Osaka, …….. and Tokyo, appreciate if anyone here could propose place of interest mainly on Shopping and Local food etc and also where to stay.

Appreciate your assistant

PS: This is our first trip to Japan…. We are lost and worried.

Best regards,
I'm afraid I can't help much with Osaka, but I'm very familiar with Tokyo. The most convenient hotel in Tokyo in regards to price and convenience would be the Shinagawa Prince Hotel. You can find them online, and navigate their site in English. The hotel is located next to Shinagawa station, which is a main hub in Tokyo.

Shinagawa station lies on the Yamanote train line, which runs in a circle through the metro area. This line will take you to most points were seeing on your visit. You should visit Ueno (famous for it's parks, zoo, and museums), Akihabara station, home of "electric city", home of anime and all the new gizmos currently in vogue in Japan, Tokyo Station, which is convenient to Ginza and the Imperial Palace. At Tokyo Station you can take the Ginza or Asakusa line subways to Asakusa, which is probably the best place in Tokyo for tourists to shop for souvenirs and experience different kinds of food.

Continuing on the Yamanote line will take you through places like Meguro (which has many antique shops), Shibuya (probably the most famous place in Tokyo), and Harajuku (home to the cosplayers and youth fashion, but also next to Omotesando Hills, where you'll find more expensive, high-end stores).

If you get lost, you are never far from a Koban (police box). Police officers will be happy to give you directions to wherever you need to go. You'll also find traffic maps located throughout the city which will show you exactly where you are, and give you an idea of what's in the area.

Good luck, and have fun.