View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

08-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuu View Post
For a long while I'd wanted to go to Japan, to just be there.

I was never a total japanophile, but I certainly exhibited some of the key traits of one: generalisation of Japan and Japanese culture, desire and sincere appreciation of an entire country and people without direct experience of such, etc.

A few months ago I dropped out of university but didn't care because I had started planning to go to Japan. I'd been studying Japanese for a few years with positive results and made up my mind that I now wanted to become fluent in the fastest way I could think of, going to live there.

Since I just left uni and had no job I wanted to get going there as fast as possible, so I applied for a working holiday visa and started contacting a homestay organisation.

My friend said I might be better off just going there as a tourist to see if I actually liked living there, but I brushed them off thinking that it was a done deal and I'd just have to bite the bullet to acheive my dream ASAP.

However I've now ended up in a location I really dislike and with a family I find difficult to live with all month, and have decided to return to England at the start of the next month.

I just wanted to write a short post imploring people who have the same desire I had to thoroughly and prepare and consider what might happen to them and what they will do in Japan once they get there.

MMM said 'Japan isn't a giant amusement park'. I have found truth in these words.

Please everyone throroughly research the area you're going to and plan cautiously and short-term, at least to begin with. Do not arrange to stay anywhere for up to a month unless maybe it's with friends.

I'm not looking for a fight. If this advice can help anyone enjoy their experience of Japan any better that would be satisfactory.

Feel free to ask me any Qs about my experience as I've written a lot already.
Sorry to hear about your negative experience, we shape our lives from our experieince, this experieince will definitely make you stronger and make "wiser" choice in a long run

I hope this post is going to help people that is fascinated about japan for its subcultural, at least realize that its not an easy thing to just "pack and go" and live in a country.....