(#161 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I think many of the problems that take place in the states between folks are hold overs from the countries of orgin of those folks preventing them from realizeing what being "American" truely means. I.E. old grudges between Irish and British and the like that are brought here from the old country.

That's my reasoning anyhow.
Good points, there, but especially this last one.

There is definitely a perpetual conflict within the U.S. between the preservation of indigenous identity and assimilation "for the greater good". The two do not seem able to peacefully co-exist on a large scale.

In this country an individual may find ways to preserve his inherited identity on a personal level(Celtic, Arabian, Latin, Asian etc.), but much is lost because one person alone is not enough to preserve a cultural identity. Unfortunately the forced emphasis on a specific culture, to the detriment of the general population breeds concept and resentment. Example: the expense of signs in multiple languages in addition to English because no national language has ever been put into law.

Assimilation is beneficial in maintaining a workable flow of activity and communication, along with many other benefits that come from the classic strength in numbers concept. However, all too often the result is the plowing under of contrasting, unique and beneficial cultural differences. Example: Enactment of city zoning for health reason that in effect outlawed the practice of a specific, recognized religion (this is in the courts in my hometown right now!).

Neither of these is not evil per se, but the ill-informed or careless imbalance of the two is highly destructive. And to my way of thinking, the United States is the grand experiment attempting to tackle this challenge. We seem to sit on a teeter-totter that much too frequently sees too much emphasis on one side or the other.

Perhaps it is that unconcious struggle to offset the weight of assimilation that impels Americans to seek out other cultures with as much contrast to their own as possible. Perhap this is the gensis of the Otaku, Japanophile, or what ever other descriptive term you care to use to describe Americans obsessed with Japanese culture.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.