View Single Post
(#76 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post

If this kid could fight, he'd be nothing more than a brawler. Maybe your story is true, but it's impossible to compete against trained professionals when you've not learned from them (so before you going saying he'd beat my friend, Pet, keep in mind Pet has done over 100 professional fights).
Most trainers or teachers have done only that, trained. A real fight, MMA in a ring is a real fight even though the emotions are different, is a whole different thing than sparring. Your friend is use to having rules in the ring. Maybe the kid would lose if he had to stick to rules, but out on the street is a different matter.
Quote:
You may not know because you've never properly trained it (if at all), but a well trained martial artist kicks the f*** through anyone bare knuckle.
Why would you assume that I never trained or was improperly trained? This is very arrogant of you to assume. Just because you are training in Thailand doesn't mean you are an expert on martial arts. Muay Thai is just one of many and if it was the best where are all the classes in other parts of the World?
I trained in Karate for several years and Capoeira with Mestre Accordion, who is one of the last surviving students of Mestre Bimba, the developer of Capoeira Regional. I also did some cagefighting, so I'm not some uniformed action movie watcher like maybe you think.
No matter how much training you do, until you actually fight your training is just a reaction to a preplanned attack. It is the unplanned and intuitive fighter that is dangerous. Someone who has seen your move before you finish it by surviving other similar attacks is the one who will win. A street brawler (as you like to put it) doesn't need someone to teach him (or her, I've seen some women I wouldn't mess with) what strikes cause the most pain or will disable someone because they've seen it or have done it dozens of times. You can't call yourself a warrior if the only person you've hit was wearing pads and is fighting on a padded floor.
Quote:

You can learn all the skills of the past in a single life time only if you learn them from those who pass it on. Reinventing the knowledge and wisdom of over 10,000 years of human combat is impossible for one man .
Yes, true enough. But what if one of those teachers methods are flawed? What if one teacher invents or "improves" a move that can be fatal in a real fight? Of course training is great because you can alter moves to a real fight as needed, but I will always disagree that just because someone trains in a class will make that person a superior fighter than a person who fights on a daily basis and might even enjoy it.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!