(#101 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Actually, they haven't.

Someone with street experience are, in most cases, used to fighting others with the same style. Usually grappling and/or bare knuckle with a viscous twist. I doubt they see a lot of martial arts, unless they went out of their way to look for fights with strangers.

It varies from person to person, but in most cases I would put my money on those with formal training.
I think you're over-estimating the way martial arts can affect the outcome of a fight. The guys who study TaeKwonDo, Karate (Kyokushin being the exception I would make) or the various strands of Kung Fu (ditto with Sanshou) etc... first off have little in their arsenal which is street effective.

Second of all.. with regards to the martial arts that contain techniques which are street effective (Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Boxing).. well the most effective of techniques in these styles are the ones that are the most basic and resemble the way a person would naturally throw an effective punch.

Third... Probably half of all the successful boxers, kickboxers, MMA fighters come from backgrounds in which street experience has been a way of life to an extent (how often do we hear boxers/MMA fighters/Muay Thai fighters tell us their story as to how boxing saved them from a life in the streets etc for example.)

Fourth.. a guy with no training but experience fights without rules. A guy with training but no street experience... operates with rules.