View Single Post
(#109 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-28-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I did TKD for 10 years. Beautiful martial art and really good for fitness, conditioning and mental discipline. However the only techniques useful are the side-kick and the front kick and maybe the back kick. I'll throw in the turning kick too as it is used in tournaments and is quite similar to the Muay Thai whip kick (though in tournaments, TKD fighters are usually going for points rather than power so the have a tendency to lean back so that they keep their body out of range for a counter attack when they do the technique... whereas in Muay Thai you are taught to keep your core as central as possible so as to maintain balance and consolidate power... the latter being more streetworthy advice)

The punching in TKD is almost non-existent in tournament training and only really present in the traditional side of it.
Well yes, you're right. But I think this is not the style to blame, but the direction of its teachers and students.

If you tried to take it in a more realistic direction, I think it would work.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…