View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-30-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minminRW View Post
Your explanation is not clear enough. I think whaling by Japan fits with wellbeing of the eco-system.
Only because it is severely restricted currently.

Quote:
It is not the matter whether a certain whaling is Commercial or not.

USA hunts Bowhead Whales (classified "Endangered" by red list) as non-commercial whaling every year.(IWC allowed it!)
Japan hunts whales as research but these are classified "Least concern".
Japan doesn't hunt for research. Japan says that it hunts for research and then sells the meat commercially. The United States does not hunt Bowhead whales. It simply allows Inuit people to hunt them in US waters via traditional means.

Quote:
First, Japan does not act against World consensus but just stay minor.
Almost countries do not have culture of eating whales.
Japanese whaling do not violate the rights of these countries.
Though, I agree to your viewpoint taking whales as "resources".
The ocean as a whole is an eco system and any act which may endanger it is a concern for all countries who consider the ocean a valuable asset or worth defending.

And the culture argument is not valid. Japanese can hunt whale in their own territorial waters. Just stay off the ocean.

Quote:
We have not discussed about monitoring costs...it may not be a big problem.
Anyway, whaling must be controlled and we can do.
It is easier than that of CO2.
We can't trust the Japanese to moniter themselves because of the whale hunting lobbyists. Whaling can't be controlled because private corporation can't be trusted.

Quote:
Speak for yourself, Natural activists have got huge donation from financial establishments of USA and Australia. They include some group of lobbyist that wants to take chance of increasing meat export to Japan with blaming whale hunting.
I am speaking for myself. You're the one trying to make this a case of Japan versus the West (which is a typical Japanese nationalist perspective.. and something that didn't work out for you guys). Where in fact it's simply whale hunting versus non-whale hunting.

When I ask you to keep things rational, I'm asking you to keep things within the parameters of whale-hunting.