View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
Exclamation 09-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Im not sure if this might fit into Banzai´s ideas, but have any of you ever backpacked?
There are more than 10000 Germans a year who go to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. Usually this people are between College and University. They come to Australia without alot of money and some not prepared at all. They work in shitty Jobs, save some money and than travel the country.
We call this a gap year and most people have alot of fun during this time. I did the year in Australia, but i have to admit that my situation was a bit different. After that i decided to do the year in Japan as well. I took a good amount of money and i worked in a shitty Job for around 5 month in Japan.

This Visa is for people aged 18 to 30 and its called Working Holiday Visa for a reason. You can get the visa, take some money and fly there. Live there legally for a year and do some work to support yourself. Rest of the time you spend travelling. Dont tell me this isnt great opportunity to experience another country and to become more mature. You will live in a shity small room, you will work hard,.... but you will meet many people, you will see alot, you will grow and learn alot about yourself,...... and after a year you come back home as a different person who has learned alot and start your studying with new energy.
So, whats wrong with that?

I think its great for everybody who wants to get out for a while. And its only a year! If you still love the country after a year than you can really fight to get there. After a 3 weeks holiday you´ve seen nothing. And dont tell me about wasting to much time. I see alot of people who will see that whole thing different when they get older. "If i had that chance,.... Shouldve done that,...."

But i have to say Japan was alot harder than Australia because Jobs pay less and it is not a backpackers country. Prices are high and facilities sometimes hard to find (like hostels or stuff). I also know that this kind of lifestyle is not made for everybody and i have heard many people who dont see any sence in it. Thats ok with me, but im happy some people are different. And if everything fails you can still fly back. Youre not commited to a years contract, you havent moved all yout stuff there, etc.

I had a great time in Japan and i would say i have seen more places than any of you guys and that with around 1millionen yen i saved and the money i earned working in Japan (this is for 1 year with all expences). Oh and end off the year i still had money for my first month in Korea.

Sorry, i didnt want to sound so agressive...., peace guys!

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)